Thursday, December 23, 2010

The last doll anybody ever gave me for Christmas

Christmas 1996 was the last year there was a doll under the Christmas tree for me. The year before, I only wanted to continue my collection of Disney dolls, even though Pocahontas convinced me that the Disney company had a screw loose.

And then Disney released The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I had already read the book, expecting it to be like Poe, and it went over my head, big time. To innocent me, it was the most bafflingly awful, pointless, drawn-out, horrible thing I had ever read. I didn't want to see the Disney movie, I didn't want the dolls, Disney and I had officially parted ways.

Some relative, I can't remember who, bought this without asking, just presuming I would want it. This might count as one of the least-loved gifts of all time. It doesn't help that her gimmicks suck, her dress is hideous, and her thumb broke off before I could free her from the twisty ties.

Dance, la Esmeralda, dance!




























One year, a teacher decided to show it last period before spring break. The class found it hilarious for all the wrong reasons, and it was pretty forgettable.

The plot twist is that I read the novel as an adult, and ended up enjoying it more than a person really should.

3 comments:

Ms. Leo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Leo said...

She has a cute face. She just needs a new body! Maybe something with articulation. She is still on my list of dolls I would like to get.

MissSpottyJane said...

I think the regular release has the same head, and a semi-jointed body. It's really strange that the "dancing" version got less articulation than the non-dancing one.